What is Choice?
Anti-choice extremists are committed to restricting access to birth control.
Your gift will help us make sure women get the access they need.
Get Email Updates
|Home > What is Choice?|
We believe that women should have the option to choose abortion. Abortion, when performed legally and in a timely manner, is among the safest types of medical procedures. Even though access to abortion is legal, our right is far from safe.
Anti-choice people want to outlaw abortion, regardless of the woman's situation. They will stop at nothing to make it harder for women to access abortion. They even target the doctors who provide abortion care.
Anti-choice people use many of the following tactics to reach their goals:
- Violent tactics that intimidate doctors and patients
- Bans on safe abortion methods that protect women's health
- Restrictions on low-income women's access to abortion and other health care
- Dangerous laws that jeopardize young women's health and safety
- "Crisis pregnancy centers" that intentionally mislead women
- "Personhood" measures that would ban abortion
- Distortions of science to instill fear
- Restrictions on women's access to RU 486
- Refusal clauses that deny women basic health services
We will always have to fight to keep abortion safe and legal. This means defeating attacks in Congress and in our state.
Finally, we always are sure to separate anti-choice myths from facts.